Grilled Scallops with Nori, Ginger, and Lime
We always seek out dry scallops, which will sear and caramelize better. Ask your fishmonger before you buy—it really makes a difference. To make them easier to grill, we thread the scallops onto sets of two skewers, not one, so they don't spin around willy-nilly when you pick them up. Then hang the skewers off the edge of the grill so you can pick them up with your (gloved) hands—no need for tongs.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 toasted nori sheet
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, plus more for grill
- 12 large dry sea scallops, side muscles removed, patted dry
- ½ lime
- 3 scallions, dark green parts only, very thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. Aleppo-style or other mild red pepper flakes or gochugaru (coarse Korean red pepper powder)
- A spice mill; eight 8" wooden skewers, soaked at least 1 hour
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Mix mayonnaise, lime juice, a pinch of salt, and 1 Tbsp. water in a small bowl; set lime mayo aside.
- Finely grind nori in spice mill. Transfer half to a small bowl; set aside for serving. Transfer remaining nori to a large bowl and mix in coriander, ginger, and 2 Tbsp. oil. Add scallops and toss to coat.
- Thread 3 scallops onto 2 skewers. (This will keep scallops in place and make them easy to turn. You can also use this method for shrimp and small peppers like shishito and Padrón.) Repeat with remaining scallops and skewers. Season both sides with salt.
- Clean and oil grate, then immediately place scallops on the outside edge of the grill so that the skewers are hanging off the side. Grill, turning scallops with handles of skewers, until grill marks appear and scallops are just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, depending on their size.
- Spread lime mayo on a platter and place skewers with scallops on top. Finely grate zest from lime half over, then squeeze juice over. Top with scallions and sprinkle with Aleppo-style pepper and reserved nori.
Watch the recipe video here:
Join Andy Baraghani in the Bon Appétit Test Kitchen as he makes the cover of our June Grilling Issue, grilled scallops….