Grilled Cheese Soup Dippers
Because the best part of tomato soup is dunking a buttery grilled cheese into the bowl.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 3 c. chicken (or vegetable) stock
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- Fresh basil, for serving
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Make soup. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion cook until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, stock, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cream and garnish with fresh basil.
- While the soup is simmering, make the grilled cheese roll-ups. Using a rolling pin, roll bread into flat, ¼-inch thick squares. Place a cheese slice on each slice of bread and roll up tightly.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add the roll ups to the skillet, seam side-down. Cook, turning often, until all sides are golden and the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes. Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel and add more butter before adding more roll-ups.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with grilled cheese roll-ups.