Fruity Cereal Donuts
Fruity Cereal Donuts recipe.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 1 cup fruit flavored rice cereal (30 g)
- ¾ cup milk (180 mL)
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar (270 g), sifted
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour (310 g)
- 1 cup fruit flavored rice cereal (30 g), finely crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (120 mL)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (240 mL)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fruit flavored rice cereal (45 g)
- 2 donut pans, 6 count
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F (220˚C). Grease the donut pans with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cereal and milk for the glaze. Set aside to soak while you make the donuts, about 20 minutes. Strain into a clean bowl, pressing on the cereal to extract as much milk as possible.
- Make the donuts: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, crushed cereal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag or zip-top bag with a corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the prepared donut pans. Leave about ¼ inch (6 ml) from the rim, so they don’t overflow.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until the donuts are just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling for about 20 minutes.
- Make the glaze: In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar and ¼ cup of the cereal milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the cereal for topping to a shallow dish.
- Once cooled, dip the tops of the donuts into the glaze, then into the cereal. Set on a wire rack set over a baking pan to dry for at least 20 minutes, until the glaze is no longer shiny.