French Onion Grilled Cheese
One of our favorite comfort foods—French onion soup—meets crowd-pleasing grilled cheese in a sandwich that’s got the flavors of both dishes, minus a lot of the traditional sodium and sat fat. Silky caramelized onions are the star here: their pungent, concentrated flavor means that just a touch of Gruyere is more than enough to make this sandwich sing. The other key? Shaving the cheese with a Microplane, which allows the cheese to distribute its melty goodness evenly, and makes just a bit of cheese feel like a lot.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 8 1 oz. slices whole wheat bread
- Simple Caramelized Onions
- 1.5 ounces Gruyere, shaved with a Microplane, about 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Spray a skillet with nonstick spray. Place four slices of bread in pan over medium-low heat.
- Top each bread slice with ¼ cup caramelized onions and ¼ cup cheese. Sprinkle each sandwich with ¼ tsp fresh thyme.
- Heat on medium-low until the bread is toasted, onions are heated through, and cheese begins to melt. Top with additional bread slice.
- Flip each sandwich over and heat until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Serve immediately.