Eggs Florentine Domes
Eggs Florentine Domes
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 8 large slices ham, large slices
- 2 english muffins, halved
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz (280 g) spinach, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter, 1 stick, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped, for serving
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the ham and muffins on a baking sheet. Tip: If your baking sheet is not large enough to hold everything at once, place a wire on top of the pan and arrange the remaining ham and English muffins on top of it.
- Broil for 2 minutes, until the English muffins are toasted and the ham starts to crisp.
- Remove the English muffins and ham from the oven. Slice the ham lengthwise, into ⅛-inch (3 mm) wide strips.
- Cover a small bowl, about 3 inches (7-cm) in diameter, with plastic wrap. Place a ham strip across the middle (the edge of the strip should come slightly over the lip of the bowl). Continue placing ham strips across the bowl, overlapping them in a spiral pattern. Repeat with three more small bowls and the remaining ham strips.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until the garlic starts to brown. Add the spinach and stir until wilted to half its original volume, 3-4 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and stir for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Make the hollandaise sauce: In a blender, combine the eggs yolks, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and cayenne pepper. Blend on high for 5 seconds. Reduce the blender speed to low and pour in the melted butter in a thin, steady stream. Blend for 30 more seconds. Cover and keep warm.
- Fill a deep pan with enough water to cover 4 small, heat-safe bowls. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and use a pair of tongs to place the bowls in the water. Carefully drop an egg into each bowl. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the yolks are cooked to your desired firmness. Using tongs, remove the bowls from the water and drain.
- Place a poached egg inside each small bowl with the spiralized ham slices and top with spinach. Fold the ham slices over the spinach and place a buttered English muffin half on top. Place a plate over the bowl and invert. Remove the bowl and plastic wrap.
- Serve with hollandaise sauce and chives.