This is the vegetarian lasagna you've been searching for.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Lasagna
- 3 medium eggplants
- kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tsp. oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 25-oz. jar marinara
- 16 oz. whole milk ricotta
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg
- ¼ c. chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 4 c. shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut ends of eggplants and slice thinly, about ¼” thick. Lay slices on a cooling rack and season with salt. Let sit for 20 minutes. Flip, season again, and let sit for another 20 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Sauté garlic for 1 minute, then add onions and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and cook until onions are translucent. Add marinara and cook until warmed through.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, egg and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large casserole dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce, a single layer of eggplant “noodles", a layer of ricotta mixture, then a layer of mozzarella; repeat layers. Top last layer of eggplant with marinara sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes, then garnish with parsley and serve.