Cream Puff Surprise Cake
Velvety mousse is interrupted by little bursts of cream puff YUM.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 8-inch yellow box cake, baked
- 12 to 16 ladyfingers
- 10 to 12 profiteroles
- 1 box vanilla pudding
- Food coloring, as desired
- 12 ounces white chocolate
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ packets gelatin
- 3¾ cups heavy cream, divided
- Fresh berries, for garnish
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- White chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Line an 8-inch springform pan with a ½-inch slice of yellow cake, and place ladyfingers in a circle around the outside edge of the cake.
- Place profiteroles on a sheet tray. Make pudding according to package directions and tint to desired color. Fill the cream puffs and set them inside the cake pan.
- For the white chocolate mousse: Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler.
- While the chocolate is melting, pour the gelatin over the water and let it dissolve. Bring one cup of hot cream to a boil and whisk in the gelatin until smooth. Pour the gelatin mixture into the white chocolate and gently mix until incorporated. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Using a stand mixer, whip the remaining heavy cream to stiff peaks. Fold the cooled white chocolate mixture into the whipped cream.
- Pour the mousse over the profiteroles, and set in the refrigerator for about an hour, then top with plastic wrap and allow to set for at least 8 hours or up to overnight.
- When set, remove from fridge, top with berries, mint and white chocolate shavings. Serve chilled.