Chocolate Lava Cakes
When you just really need that chocolate lava... 🤤
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more, softened, for greasing ramekins
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream (60 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups dark chocolate chip, divided (215 g)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar (75 g)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whipped cream, for serving (240 mL)
- 1 cup fresh berries, for serving (150 g)
- Coat the inside of 4 1-cup (125 G) ramekins with softened butter, then sprinkle with the granulated sugar, tilting to coat completely. Set aside on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Heat the heavy cream in a small pot until boiling.
- Pour the boiling cream over ½ cup (120 ml) dark chocolate in a small bowl and let sit for 3 minutes. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the remaining ¾ cup (170 G) chocolate and the butter. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until completely melted.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla with an electric hand mixer on medium-high speed until light and frothy, about 8 minutes.
- Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, being careful not to deflate the eggs. Add the flour and fold to incorporate.
- Divide half of the batter between the prepared ramekins. Add ½ tablespoon of the chilled ganache to the center of each ramekin, then scoop the remaining batter on top.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until the tops are set and the cakes begin to pull away from the sides of the ramekins.
- Let the lava cakes cool slightly, then invert onto plates. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with berries. Serve immediately.