What We're Loving: Spaghetti Cacciatore
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- Kosher salt
- 10 ounces spaghetti
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Chopped fresh parsley, for topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook as the label directs. Reserve ½ cup cooking water, then drain.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned, about 7 minutes. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from the pot.
- Add the mushrooms and red onion to the pot with the bacon and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, oregano and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti and reserved cooking water to the pot; cook, tossing, until coated, about 2 minutes. Add the parmesan, season with salt and toss. Drizzle each serving of pasta with the olive oil and top with parsley and more parmesan.