Chicken Tamale Pie
A layer of cornbread topped with cheesy shredded chicken = DINNER GOALS.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 box JIFFY corn muffin mix
- ½ c. sour cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ c. corn kernels (canned, fresh, or frozen)
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- Cooking spray, for skillet
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. Taco Seasoning
- kosher salt
- 2 c. Shredded chicken
- ¾ c. enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 c. shredded Cheddar
- 1 c. Shredded Monterey Jack
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400º. Prepare cornbread base: In a medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix, sour cream, egg, corn, and melted butter. Whisk until evenly combined. Spray a large oven-safe skillet with cooking spray. Pour into a large cast-iron skillet and bake until golden, 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook until tender, 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add taco seasoning and season with salt. Add chicken and ½ cup enchilada sauce and stir until combined.
- Poke holes all over cornbread with the bottom of a wooden spoon. Pour remaining ¼ cup enchilada sauce over poke holes and top with chicken mixture.
- Top with cheddar and Monterey Jack and bake 20 minutes more.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.