Apple Tater Tots
Apple Tater Tots recipe.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 granny smith apples
- lemon water, to prevent apples from browning
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, ½ stick (55 g)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 4 large eggs
- oil, for frying
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 piping bag, with a large star tip or large round tip
- Peel the apples and soak them in a medium bowl filled with lemon water to keep then from browning. Using a cheese grater, grate the apples.
- In another medium bowl, combine the grated apples and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Stir to coat well and set aside.
- Make the churro dough: In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, salt, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the flour. Using a wooden spoon, stir until the dough comes together to form a ball, about 1 minute.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool for about 5 minutes to prevent accidentally cooking the eggs.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, being sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next. Set the dough aside.
- Spread a kitchen towel over a medium bowl. Transfer the grated apple to the towel and squeeze to remove moisture.
- Add the grated apple to the churro dough. Mix well with wooden spoon and transfer to a piping bag with a large star tip or large round tip.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C).
- Pipe the dough into the hot oil, using scissors to cut into bite-size pieces as you squeeze. Work in batches, if necessary, so as not to overcrowd the pot. Fry the churros until golden brown and fully cooked, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the hot churros to a medium bowl filled with cinnamon sugar and toss to coat.