Cheddar BBQ Meatloaf Muffins
Recipe of the Day: Cheddar BBQ Meatloaf Muffins
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main Dish
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and veal)
- 1¼ cups shredded Cheddar (about 5 ounces)
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 small green onions, finely chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- Serving suggestions: mashed potatoes and a green salad
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Pour the milk over the breadcrumbs in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the meatloaf mix, 1 cup of the cheese, ¼ cup of the barbecue sauce, the salt, pepper, green onions, garlic and egg and mix with your hands until just combined.
- Divide and shape the mixture into 6 balls and arrange the balls in a 6-cup nonstick muffin pan. Place the muffin pan on a rimmed baking sheet and brush the remaining ¼ cup barbecue sauce on top of the meat.
- Bake for 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup cheese. Continue to bake until the meatloaf muffins are cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 5 minutes more; the interior muffins may take a little longer to cook. Cool 5 minutes in the pan.
- Arrange on a serving platter and serve with mashed potatoes and a green salad.
- This recipe may be doubled and frozen for future meals. After baking, remove the meatloaf muffins from the pan to cool. Wrap each individual portion with aluminum foil and freeze. To reheat: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on your counter for about 4 hours. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the thawed muffins on a baking sheet in their foil packets and bake for 25 minutes. Carefully open the foil and continue to bake for 5 minutes until warmed through.