Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
The perfect excuse to eat cake for breakfast.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Cake
- 12 tbsp. butter, softened and divided, plus more for greasing pan
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ c. sour cream
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ c. packed light brown sugar
- 1 c. peeled, cored and chopped apples (about ½" pieces)
- ⅓ c. caramel, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour an 8"-x-8” baking dish.
- Make Batter: In a large bowl, combine 8 tablespoons butter and sugar. Using a hand mixer, whip until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until smooth. Then add vanilla and sour cream and mix until evenly incorporated. Add 1 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and mix until just combined. Fold in apples.
- Make Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl, combine remaining 4 tablespoons butter with brown sugar and remaining ½ cup flour. Add a pinch of salt, if desired. Stir with a fork or use your hands to create large clumps.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish then top with streusel. Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, 38 to 40 minutes. Drizzle with caramel then let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.