Baked Chicken Schnitzel
Growing up, chicken schnitzel was a classic. I decided to make this dish oven-friendly using less oil, and an easier cleanup. This dish tastes great with potato salad, or mashed potatoes and a nice crisp salad. Tastes great the next day cold too! It's a family-favorite! Enjoy with fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as desired
- 6 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise (butterflied)salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and drizzle olive oil over foil. Place baking sheet in preheated oven.
- Flatten chicken breasts so they are all about ¼-inch thick. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Mix flour and paprika together on a large plate. Beat eggs with salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Mix bread crumbs and lemon zest together on a separate large plate. Dredge each chicken piece in flour mixture, then egg, and then bread crumbs mixture and set aside in 1 layer on a clean plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and arrange chicken in 1 layer on the sheet. Drizzle more olive oil over each piece of coated chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 to 6 minutes. Flip chicken and continue baking until no longer pink in the center and the breading is lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Watch the recipe video here:
Baked Chicken Schnitzel: https://trib.al/56VMOk1
Posted by Allrecipes on Tuesday, January 1, 2019