SKILLET CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
I love making Chicken Cordon Bleu which I usually bread, roll and bake. But I wanted something quick with the same ingredients and came up with this – lazy chicken cordon bleu made all in one skillet. This is great with roasted veggies or you can serve this with rice pilaf.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 4 thin boneless, skinless cutlets, 4 oz each
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup all purpose flour*
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- ⅔ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 thin slices low sodium deli ham, I use Boar’s Head (3 oz total)
- 4 slices light Swiss Cheese such as Alpine Lace (3 oz total)
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- * All purpose gluten-free flour works well here.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge the chicken with flour on both sides, shaking off the excess reserving the flour.
- In a small bowl combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and 1 teaspoon of the reserved flour, whisk until smooth.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and add 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and half of the chicken.
- Cook 2 minutes on each side, until slightly golden, then transfer to a dish.
- Add remaining ½ teaspoon olive oil and remaining chicken and cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Set aside on a dish with the other pieces of chicken.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the chicken broth mixture. Whisk scraping up any bits stuck to the pan then simmer 2 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, top each piece with a slice of ham and a slice of swiss, cover the skillet and simmer medium-low for 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese melts.
- To serve use a spatula and transfer the chicken to each dish, spoon the remaining sauce over each piece.