Shrimp toast is a classic Chinese dim sum dish. Fresh shrimp is ground into a paste flavored with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and sambal, then spread on bread triangles and fried to golden-brown perfection. Serve as an appetizer at your next gathering or part of a larger dim sum feast!
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until it reaches 350°F (180°C). Set a wire rack inside a baking sheet and place nearby.
- In a food processor, combine the shrimp, egg whites, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, sambal, garlic, ginger, salt, and scallion whites and pulse until smooth.
- Trim the crusts off the bread, then cut diagonally into triangles.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the shrimp paste evenly over each triangle of bread. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the shrimp paste.
- Add the shrimp toasts, 3 at a time, to the hot oil, shrimp side down. Fry until the shrimp turns pink and the sesame seeds are light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip the toast over and fry on the other side until the bread is golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to the wire rack and let drain for 1 minute.
- Garnish the shrimp toast with the scallion greens and serve with soy sauce for dipping.