Pineapple Upside Down Donuts
Now this is a story all about how these pineapple donuts got flipped upside down...
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh pineapple juice
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 (15-ounce) can of pineapple rings
- Maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, milk, pineapple juice, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla extract. Gently add in the self-rising flour until combined.
- In each well of the donut pan, sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and lay half a pineapple ring (sliced in half lengthwise so the cake/fruit ratio is even). Carefully spoon the batter over the pineapple rings and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool on a wire rack. Turn the pan upside down to flip the donuts out. Garnish each with a cherry in the middle, serve and enjoy!