One Pot BBQ Chicken Penne
An easy midweek dinner for the BBQ sauce lovers in your life, you can practically do it in your sleep.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 10 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp fajita seasoning
- 800ml chicken stock
- 400g penne
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 300ml barbecue sauce
- 200g red cheddar
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Heat some oil in a large pan over a high heat. Put the chicken chunks in the pan and cook for a couple of minutes to brown the outside, turning over so that they cook evenly. Remove from the pan.
- Turn the pan down to a medium-high heat and add the bacon bits. Cook for a few minutes until the fat has rendered and they are starting to crisp up, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion. Cook for 5 mins until it has softened and started to take on colour. Add the garlic and fajita spices and cook out for 1 min.
- Add the stock, penne, tomato puree, salt and pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking and to ensure all pieces are covered in water. Add 200ml extra boiling water, the chicken and the barbecue sauce to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for another 3 mins until the pasta is tender and coated in a shiny sauce. Turn off the heat, add the cheddar and stir to combine.
- Scatter with chopped chives, serve and enjoy!