Mozzarella-Stuffed Chicken Parm
The more cheese the better.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- Olive oil, for frying
- 2 c. marinara
- ¼ c. Thinly sliced basil
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°. Using a sharp paring knife, cut a deep slit into each chicken breast. Stuff pockets with mozzarella then press edges of the chicken together to seal the chicken. Season outside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Put the flour, eggs and panko bread crumbs into three separate shallow bowls. Into the panko bread crumbs, whisk in garlic powder, dried oregano, ¼ cup Parmesan and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Dip the stuffed chicken in flour, shaking off excess, then dip the chicken into egg, tossing to coat. Dredge chicken in bread crumbs, making sure the chicken is evenly coated.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat a thin layer of olive oil. Add chicken to skillet and cook until golden on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Pour marinara around chicken and scatter basil on top of marinara. Turn off heat then sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top of chicken.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes more. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.