- 5 large Russet potatoes
- 5½ cups shredded cheese (cheddar/Jack)
- 4½ cups whole milk
- 5½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey (or beef)
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- Green onions (garnish)
- Cilantro (garnish)
- Tomatoes (garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel and slice potatoes (about ¼“ thick), then boil until tender (about 8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, saute onions and peppers until soft (about 5 minutes), and set aside.
- Add turkey to skillet and cook with 1½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne and cumin. Heat until turkey is cooked through (about 8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, toss shredded cheese with cornstarch until well coated. Place over medium-high heat and stir until cheese begins to melt.
- Add ½ milk and incorporate into cheese, continuing to cook and stir. Add milk until completely incorporated and queso is smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining 1½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon cayenne. Remove from heat.
- In a cast-iron skillet or baking dish, pour about ½ cup of queso, top with a layer of potatoes, then top with peppers and onions, followed by turkey. Add another ½ cup of queso, then continue with another layer of potatoes, peppers and onions, and turkey. Finish with a layer of potatoes and cover with remaining queso and shredded cheese.
- Cover and bake for 25–30 minutes or until bubbly and brown.
Watch the recipe video here:
Queso? Potatoes? Say no more. Serve this with a glass of real milk for the perfect dinner.Have real milk and everything you need for this crowd-pleasing recipe delivered to your door. https://www.instacart.com/
Posted by Tasty on Monday, April 16, 2018