Loaded Chicken Potato Soup
Chicken pot pie meets a loaded baked potato.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 ½ pounds russet potatoes
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup bite-size broccoli florets
- ½ cup bacon bits, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 5 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Prick potatoes with a fork and wrap each potato in aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until potatoes are tender, 1½ to 2 hours. Cool potatoes until easily handled; scoop insides from skins and discard skins.
- Place chicken in a bowl and add enough olive oil to coat; add 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and toss to coat.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir chicken until no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Toss onion, carrots, and celery with enough olive oil to coat in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat; cook and stir onion mixture until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-heat. Stir flour into melted butter and cook until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour milk, about ¼ cup at a time, into butter-flour mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir cooked potato, chicken, onion mixture, chicken stock, broccoli, ½ of the bacon bits, ½ of the green onions, and 4 ounces of the Cheddar cheese into the sauce. Cook soup until heated through and broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir sour cream into soup and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with remaining bacon, green onions, and Cheddar cheese.
Watch the recipe video here:
Loaded Chicken Potato Soup: https://trib.al/oSfHdMo