KUNG PAO CHICKEN ZOODLES FOR TWO
Kung Pao Chicken Zoodles For Two – I swapped the noodles with zucchini noodles and the results were fantastic!! (under 300 calories).
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 medium zucchini, about 8 oz each, ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed or canola oil
- 6 oz skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ground ginger
- 2 tbsp crushed dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced scallions along diagonal
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1½ tbsp reduced soy sauce, tamari for gluten free
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 2½ tbsp water
- ½ tbsp Sambal Oelek Red Chili Paste, or more to taste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Using a spiralizer with the thickest noodle blade, or a mandolin fitted with a julienne blade, cut the zucchini into long spaghetti-like strips. If using a spiralizer, use kitchen scissors to cut the strands into pieces that are about 6 to 8 inches long so they’re easier to eat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, balsamic, hoisin, water, red chili paste, sugar and cornstarch; set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat oil in a large, deep nonstick pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add sesame oil, garlic and ginger to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the bell pepper, stir in soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened and bubbling, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in zucchini noodles and cook, mixing for about two minutes until just tender and mixed with the sauce. If it seems dry, don't worry the zucchini will release moisture which helps create a sauce. Once cooked, mix in chicken and divide between 2 bowls (about 2 cups each) and top with peanuts and scallions.
Watch the recipe video here:
Kung Pao Chicken Zoodles For Two – I swapped the noodles with spiralized zucchini noodles and the results were…