Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
A traditional dish of Louisiana Creole cuisine.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb dry red kidney beans (it is not necessary to soak the beans)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (or ½ tsp dried thyme)
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 12-16 oz chicken andouille (or other high-quality smoked) sausage, cut into thin slices
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into 4-6 pieces
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups cooked rice
- Add Pot Mixture ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 25 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick-release the remaining pressure. Run the lid under cold water and set aside. This will help the Instant Pot to come to pressure more quickly in the next step.
- Add the sliced sausage and stir to combine. Secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release until the pin drops (typically 20-25 minutes).
- Remove the lid, then using the display panel select the SAUTE function. Add butter. Cook and stir until incorporated and slightly thickened.
- Use a potato masher (we love this one: https://amzn.to/2CJ9ewv) or immersion blender to break up some of the beans to achieve desired consistency, keeping in mind the mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice.