Instant Pot Pho Chicken Noodle Soup
Flavorful, fragrant pho at home is now a reality!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 tbsp canola oil (or other high-heat oil)
- 2 medium onions, halved
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp green cardamom pods
- 3 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 8 cups water, warmed
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and roughly chopped (or 1 tbsp minced ginger)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed and cut into 2” pieces (or 1 tbsp lemongrass paste)
- 4 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 8 oz packages thin rice noodles
- fresh cilantro
- fresh basil
- lime wedges
- mung bean sprouts
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- ¼ onion, thinly sliced
- Add oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function and adjust to HIGH or MORE.
- When oil gets hot, put the onion in, cut side down. Cook without moving until the onions begin to char, 4-5 minutes. Remove the onions to a bowl.
- Add the Spice Mixture ingredients to the pot. Cook and stir for one minute or until spices are fragrant.
- Add warmed water to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the remaining Pot Mixture ingredients and the reserved onions and their juices. Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 20 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the meat from the pot to a cutting board. Remove skin and shred meat; discard bones and skin.
- Strain the broth and return to the pot. Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then select the SAUTE function.
- Bring the broth to a simmer and cook the rice noodles in the broth according to the package directions.
- Serve noodles and broth over chicken. Garish as desired.