Instant Pot Jerk Chicken and Cornbread
This jerk chicken is a real finger-licking treat!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Man dish
- 1 8.5 oz box corn muffin mix, prepared according to package directions
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced scallions
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Lime wedges and additional sliced scallions for garnish (optional)
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¾ tsp cayenne, or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions, then stir in sliced scallions and minced jalapeno.
- Coat the inside of a silicone egg bite mold with nonstick spray (we love these: https://amzn.to/2Q2dnyq).
- Divide corn muffin batter into the egg bite molds. Tap on the counter to even the batter and release and bubbles. Cover loosely with foil–do not seal.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Jerk Mixture ingredients and stir until uniform. Reserve half the jerk mixture and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
- Coat the chicken thighs in the remaining jerk mixture, then brown the chicken on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side. Meat will not be cooked through. Do not crowd the pot–you may have to work in batches. Transfer browned meat to a shallow dish and cover loosely with foil.
- Add broth to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add chicken to the pot in an even layer, then spread remaining jerk mixture on the chicken.
- Insert the steam rack (for neatest results, we prefer using a riser like this one: https://amzn.to/2xTvP5g) and lower the egg bite mold onto the riser using a foil sling.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 10 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Serve the chicken with cornbread. Garnish with lime wedges and additional sliced scallions, if desired..