Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry
Creamy, decadent and delicious.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 13 oz can coconut milk, full fat
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups cooked rice, for serving
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or fresh basil, for garnish
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
- When oil gets hot, brown the chicken on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Meat will not be cooked through.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to the pot and saute 2 minutes. Stir in the Spice Mixture ingredients and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add coconut milk to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick-release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot.
- Carefully remove ¼ cup of the liquid from the pot and combine with the cornstarch. Stir into the pot until thickened.
- Serve warm over rice, garnished with chopped cilantro or basil.