GRILLED HAWAIIAN TERIYAKI BURGER
This easy Hawaiian teriyaki burger is made with lean ground beef, carrots, scallions and topped with grilled pineapple and a homemade pineapple teriyaki sauce.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 lbs 93% ground beef
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce, or more if you like it spicy
- 8 slices fresh pineapple
- 8 whole wheat 100 calorie buns, I used Martin's
- 8 lettuce leaves
For the pineapple teriyaki sauce:
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger, very fine
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
For the burgers:
- Gently combine the ground beef with grated carrots, scallions, ginger, soy sauce and sriracha sauce.
- Form into 8 equal sized patties, try not to overwork the meat so it doesn't get tough.
For the teriyaki sauce:
- Combine the cornstarch in cold water and dissolve. Set aside.
- Mix soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, grated ginger and garlic in small saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Add cornstarch water mixture and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat the grill. When hot clean the grates and spray with oil.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook on high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until burgers are cooked to your liking.
- While the burgers are cooking, grill the pineapple slices for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of each burger bun. Top with the cooked burger and 1 tbsp of teriyaki sauce, then top with grilled pineapple.