Galaxy Mirror Glazed 'Box' Cake
Galaxy Mirror Glazed 'Box' Cake recipe.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 chocolate cake mixes, 2 boxes, prepared according to package
- 2 cups butter (460 g), softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 6 cups powdered sugar (720 g)
GALAXY MIRROR GLAZE
- 1 ¼ cups water (300 mL)
- 1 ½ cups sugar (300 g)
- 15 oz sweetened condensed milk (395 g), 1 can
- 15 sheets gelatin
- 26 oz white chocolate (740 g), chopped, over 30% cocoa butter
- black food coloring
- navy blue food coloring
- light blue food coloring
- purple food coloring
- pink food coloring
- white food coloring
- Prepare the cakes according to the package, or use your favorite cake recipe.
- To make the buttercream, mix the butter, vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar in a bowl with a hand mixer.
- Once the cakes are baked and cooled, place one cake on a turntable. If you don't have one, you can use a plate. Slice the top off the cakes to create a flat surface.
- Place a large dollop of the buttercream on the cake and spread to create an even middle layer of frosting.
- Place the second cake over the layer of buttercream.
- Frost the entire cake to create the crumb layer, creating a smooth surface.
- Place the cake in the freezer to keep cold.
- For the glaze, boil the water, sugar, and condensed milk in a pot for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Bloom the gelatin in 8 cups (2 liters) of cold water for 5 minutes, then wring the gelatin sheets of excess water and mix into the sugar mixture.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the chocolate, letting it sit for 2-3 minutes to allow the chocolate to soften.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the chocolate and the liquid, making sure that you are not blending in air bubbles by lifting up the blender too high.
- Pour the glaze through a sieve into a large bowl to remove any excess bubbles.
- Separate the glaze into 5 different bowls (one medium-sized bowl and four smaller bowls).
- Color the biggest bowl of glaze with black and navy blue food coloring, stir the coloring with the glaze until the color is distributed evenly.
- In the next bowl, add the navy blue food coloring and stir.
- In the next bowl, add the lighter blue food coloring and stir.
- In the next bowl, add the purple food coloring and stir.
- In the next bowl, add the pink food coloring and stir.
- When you are ready to use the glaze, make sure each one is around 90-96°F (32-35°C). Microwave if necessary. Pour the colored glazes back into the biggest bowl of black and blue glaze. Swirl them gently with a spoon.
- Place the cake on a stand over a sheet tray to catch any excess glaze. Carefully pour the glaze over the cake.
- Dip a brush into the white food coloring and fling it onto the cake to create stars.