Crunchy Ramen Salad
For potlucks and picnics, this ramen cabbage salad is a knockout. I tote the veggies in a bowl, dressing in a jar and noodles in a bag. Then I shake them up together when it's time to eat. —LJ Porter, Bauxite, Arkansas
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ cup olive oil, divided
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup sunflower kernels
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) coleslaw mix
- 12 green onions, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) chicken ramen noodles
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add almonds and sunflower kernels; cook until toasted, about 4 minutes. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, onions and red pepper. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, sugar, pepper, contents of ramen seasoning packets and remaining oil. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Break noodles into small pieces. Just before serving, stir in noodles, almonds and sunflower kernels.