Yields: 12 Servings Difficulty: Medium
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften. Add ¼ cup (30 G) of flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook for another 2 minutes, until the flour is golden brown.
- Add the corn and vegetable stock and whisk until the flour dissolves. Add the heavy cream, 2 teaspoons of salt, the pepper, and cayenne, if using. Simmer until thickened slightly, about 4 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let cool to room temperature. The soup will thicken significantly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to scoop the soup into 12 portions onto the prepared baking sheet. 5. Freeze for 1 hour, until solid.
- Heat the canola oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 350°F (180°C). Set a wire rack inside a baking sheet and place nearby.
- Add the remaining ½ cup (60 G) flour and 1 teaspoon of salt to a shallow bowl. Add the eggs to a separate shallow bowl. Add the panko, cornmeal, and remaining teaspoon of salt to a third shallow bowl.
- Coat the soup balls in the flour, then the egg, then the panko mixture.
- Working in batches, fry the soup balls in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to the wire rack and sprinkle with more salt, then let cool slightly.
- Garnish with parsley, then serve warm.
Watch the recipe video here: