Crispy Buttercup Squash Poppers
Packed with creamy flavor, but lower in fat, these squash poppers make the perfect dinner or side dish.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 3 to 3½-pound buttercup or butternut squash
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose our
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- 1 lemon
- 1 5.3 to 6-ounce carton plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 dash salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a 15x10-inch baking pan with foil. Halve, seed, and peel squash. Cut half of the squash into 3-inch strips. Reserve the
- remaining squash for another use.
- In a shallow dish combine eggs and our. In another shallow dish stir together bread crumbs, cheese, and black pepper. Roll squash strips in egg
- mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat. Place in the prepared baking pan.
- Lightly coat tops of squash strips with cooking spray. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, remove ½ tsp. zest and squeeze 2 tsp. juice from lemon. In a small bowl combine lemon zest, 1 to 2 tsp. of the juice, and the
- next ve ingredients (through ground chipotle pepper). If desired, sprinkle with additional chipotle pepper.
- If desired, arrange squash poppers on a bed of arugula. Serve with sauce for dipping
Watch the recipe video here:
Once you pop these Crispy Butternut Squash “Fries” you can't stop. Get the recipe: https://trib.al/f0485H8