Chicken Pot Pie Domes
Start your week off strong with these delicious chicken pot pie domes 🥕🍗
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lb chicken breast, cubed (910 g)
- salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, ¾ stick
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced (150 g)
- 1 cup carrot, diced (120 g)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6 tablespoons flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth (720 mL)
- 1 cup frozen peas (150 g)
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL)
- 4 packages premade pie crust, 2 crust per package
- water, for brushing
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and the chicken breast. Season with salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl and return the pan to the stove.
- Reduce the heat to medium and melt the butter in the pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery, cooking until the vegetables have softened and the onion is translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring well so there are no lumps.
- Add the garlic, parsley and thyme, and cook for 2-3 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir occasionally until the sauce has thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas and reserved chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, then pour in the heavy cream.
- Stir to combine and cook until the peas have defrosted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Lay out 1 pie crust and lightly brush the top with water. Place another pie crust on top and lightly dust with flour.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the dough in order to bind the 2 crusts, taking care not to make them thinner.
- Place a 5-inch (12 cm) metal bowl in the center of the crust and cut out a circle 2 inches (5 cm) larger than the bowl.
- Place the cut-out dough circle inside the bowl, making sure to fully press down so the dough is flush against the surface of the bowl.
- Fill the bowl with ¼ of the chicken mixture.
- Roll the excess pie dough into a large circle. Cover the filled bowl with the dough circle slightly larger than the diameter of the bowl.
- Press the edges of the dough together, then use scissors to trim any excess dough. Crimp the edges to close.
- Repeat with the remaining pie crusts to make 3 more bowls.
- Arrange the bowls on a baking sheet. Use a small knife to make small slits in the top crusts.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the tops are a deep golden brown.
- Let cool until the bowls are cool enough to handle.
- To serve, place a plate on top of a pie, then invert onto the plate. Garnish with parsley.