Chicken a La Croix
Everyone's favorite can of sparkling water is the perfect instrument for this moist, fragrant roasted chicken.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 (3-pound) roaster chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tangerine zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, picked, plus more for roasting
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced, plus more for roasting
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tangerines, halved
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- 1 head garlic, halved
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 (12-ounce) can citrus seltzer like La Croix Tangerine or Grapefruit
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and remove the second rack. Secure the lower rack at the lowest setting so the chicken will fit standing upright.
- Pat chicken skin dry. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, tangerine zest, lemon zest, brown sugar, thyme leaves and minced rosemary. Stir to combine and brush over entire chicken. Stuff 1 tangerine half in the top cavity of the chicken. Sprinkle entire bird with salt and pepper.
- In a medium roasting pan, place remaining halved tangerines, sliced lemon, halved garlic and additional sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Add white wine. Place open seltzer can in the middle of the pan.
- Place the chicken over the can by opening the rear cavity and sliding it over the can until only about an inch of the can is showing. Rest legs on sliced citrus to avoid burning.
- Roast for 15 minutes to brown skin, then reduce heat to 350 and roast for 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 160 and the skin is crisp and golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully transfer the chicken from the can to a flat surface. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing to serve. Serve drizzled with pan juices.