Kid-friendly and delicious! If you're a cheeseburger lover, and the thought of ground beef, tomatoes, pickles and cheese tickles your fancy, then this truly American, comforting Cheeseburger Casserole is for you!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 cups 6 oz uncooked rotini pasta (use brown rice pasta for GF)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1½ cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef, 95% lean
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped dill pickles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente and drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beef and cook until browned; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then add the tomatoes and mustard. Let the mixture bubble gently until it is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Toss the meat mixture with the pasta and spread it into the prepared dish.
- Top with the cheddar and bake until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the chopped pickles over the top and serve.