Sausage and gravy, layered between soft pasta noodles, make for a great breakfast bake.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Lasagna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for baking dish plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs breakfast sausage, removed from casing
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 10 large eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb frozen hash browns, browned to cook
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with olive oil; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add a pinch chili flakes and sausage and cook, stirring occasionally to break into pieces, until sausage is cooked through and browned.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet to melt, then stir in the flour until completely combined. Stir in chicken stock and milk, increase heat to bring to a boil, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring often, to scramble. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble lasagna, spoon ½ cup gravy, without sausage pieces, into the bottom of the baking dish and spread to coat. Place 4 lasagna noodles over the bottom of the pan, then top with half of the eggs, half of the spinach, ⅓ of the sausage gravy, ½ cup shredded cheddar, ½ cup shredded mozzarella and ⅓ of the hashbrowns. Repeat with another layer of noodles, the remaining eggs, remaining spinach, sausage gravy, ½ cup shredded cheddar and ½ cup shredded mozzarella. Top final layer of noodles with remaining sauce, cheeses and hash browns.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes, the uncover and bake 10 minutes more. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with chopped chives to serve.