Bananas Foster Coffee Cake with Vanilla-Rum Sauce
Substitute extra cream for rum in the sauce, if you prefer.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1½ cups mashed ripe bananas
- 7 tablespoons light rum, divided
- 2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 1½ cups soft butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3¼ cups plus
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅝ teaspoon table salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook bananas, 3 Tbsp. rum, ½ cup brown sugar, and ¼ cup butter in a skillet until mixture is bubbly. Cool; stir in 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Beat cream cheese and ½ cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add1 cup brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Stir together 3 cups flour, ½ tsp. salt, and next 2 ingredients; add to cream cheese mixture. Beat at low speed to blend. Stir in banana mixture. Spoon into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Combine pecans, cinnamon, ½ cup brown sugar, and ¼ cup flour. Melt ¼ cup butter; stir into pecan mixture. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Combine granulated sugar, 3 Tbsp. flour, and ⅛ tsp. salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cream and ½ cup butter; bring to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; stir in ¼ cup rum and 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Make-Ahead Tip
- Heat, Slice, and Eat: Bake the coffee cake and make the sauce on Christmas Eve day. Cool both, and cover. Chill the sauce, and reheat just before serving.