Use avocados that are not quite ripe in this recipe; pickling softens them.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup distilled white or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 medium chile de arbol, optional
- 1-2 very firm avocados, sliced
- Whisk together vinegar, ½ cup water, salt, mustard seeds, sugar, peppercorns, and chile de arbol, if desired, in a medium nonreactive pot. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve, then let it cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Place avocado slices in a 1-pint jar and top with the cooled brine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 month.