Tater Tot Pot Roast Hot Pot Dish
Heartier than your grandma's rib-sticking-est midwinter stew, this hot pot is thicc!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
For the pot roast:
- 2 pounds beef
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 (12-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups red wine
- 1 cup water
For the mushroom cream sauce:
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, such as crimini, shiitake, maitake, and/or oyster, cleaned and finely chopped
- 4 medium shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups reserved braising liquid
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Frozen peas
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the beef into 2-inch cubes and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven until hot, and sear the beef on all sides. Add the chopped vegetables, herbs, tomatoes, wine and water. Cover and bake for 3 to 4 hours until fall-apart tender.
- Remove beef and shred using two forks. Remove vegetables and roughly chop. Reserve cooking liquid.
- For the sauce, saute mushrooms, shallots and garlic in butter until soft. Add flour and fry until browned. Add reserved braising liquid and cream, simmering over medium-high heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, place shredded beef and vegetables into a 9 by 13 inch pan. Add frozen peas, mushroom sauce and half the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well. Top with frozen tater tots, packing them tightly, round side facing up to cover the entire dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Top with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese. Increase oven to 450 degrees and bake 10 minutes more until browned and crispy.