Summertime Spaghetti with Grilled Meatballs
After Hurricane Sandy, we were without power for two weeks. I learned what you can make on a grill, such as these smoky meatballs and tomato sauce.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 pounds (4 to 5) large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, combine onion, bread crumbs, egg, Parmesan, milk and seasonings. Add beef; mix lightly. With wet hands, shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on greased grill rack; grill, covered, over medium heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- For sauce, combine tomatoes, garlic, oil, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper in an 11x7x2-in. disposable foil pan. Grill over medium heat until sauce begins to simmer, about 10 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Serve meatballs and sauce with spaghetti; top with shredded Parmesan.