Pearl Onion Soup
Pearl Onion Soup recipe.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 (14.4 oz.) bag frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 4 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup preferred red wine
- 2 (32 oz.) containers beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Swiss or gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 loaf French bread
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Heat butter and olive oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add pearl onions and sliced yellow onions.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until softened and translucent and beginning to brown.
- Stirring frequently to prevent burning, continue cooking onions until caramelized.
- Season with sage and thyme, then add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and red wine to deglaze pan, making sure to scrape up browned bits on bottom of pan.
- Pour in beef stock and bay leaves, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- For croutons, whisk together melted butter, garlic and onion powders in a small bowl, then brush over French bread until coated.
- Slice into thick cubes, then place in an even layer on a baking sheet. Place in oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, keeping an eye on the bread so it doesn’t burn.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with cheese and garlic croutons. Optional: pour soup into oven-proof bowls and top with cheese and croutons, then place in oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve hot. Enjoy!