Kung Pao Chicken Tacos
A kickin’ chicken taco of this caliber is not to be underestimated. Sure, this is an inexpensive, family-friendly weeknight dinner… but it’s a cool inexpensive, family-friendly weeknight dinner. Also, it’s just a ridiculously tasty recipe. For more meals like it, grab a copy of Julie Grimes’s $10 Dinners: Delicious Meals for a Family of 4 that Don't Break the Bank.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- ¾ cup diagonally sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- ½ medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, trimmed and thinly diagonally sliced
- 4 lime wedges
- Place chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag. Whisk together 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. sesame oil, and 1½ tsp. honey in a small bowl. Add soy mixture to bag with chicken; seal. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, turning bag over after 15 minutes. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade.
- Place ⅓ cup cornstarch in a shallow dish. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt. Dredge chicken in cornstarch; shake off excess. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of coated chicken; sauté 6 minutes or until done, turning to brown on all sides. Remove chicken from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Repeat the procedure with remaining 1 Tbsp. canola oil and coated chicken.
- Whisk together remaining 2 Tbsp. soy sauce and 1½ tsp. cornstarch in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1 Tbsp. sesame oil, 1½ tsp. honey, vinegar, and sambal; whisk until well blended. Microwave at HIGH for 1½ minutes or until slightly thick, stirring twice. Stir in garlic. Add chicken, peanuts, and celery to bowl with sauce; toss.
- Toast tortillas under broiler until lightly blistered or heat according to package directions. Divided chicken filling evenly among warm tortillas; top tacos with bell pepper and green onions; serve with lime wedges.
Watch the recipe video here:
#TacoTuesday—but with an unexpected twist ?GET THE RECIPE: https://trib.al/zlvoV3d (via Well Done)