Instant Pot Beer Cheese Soup
A hearty bowl of beer cheese soup topped with…wait for it…POPCORN.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Soup
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 12 oz beer
- 16 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups salted popcorn for garnish (cheese popcorn works great or you can use croutons in a pinch)
- Add bacon to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function. Cook and stir until bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add butter, onion, carrots and celery to the bacon drippings and saute until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir to coat.
- Add broth to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add pepper, mustard powder, cayenne and beer to the pot and stir to combine.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 7 minutes.
- When the time is up, perform a controlled release of the remaining pressure, watching out for any starchy spray.
- Using an immersion blender (or high capacity blender), puree the vegetable mixture until smooth.
- Gradually add cheese, stirring between each addition, until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Adjust seasonings. Top with bacon and popcorn and serve immediately.