Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
https://www.facebook.com/61511025427/posts/10156999342915428/ aWhen my grandma served this shortcake, she usually topped it with homemade vanilla ice cream. —Angela Lively, Conroe, Texas
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries with sugar and vanilla; mash slightly. Let stand at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For shortcake, whisk together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir just until combined (do not overmix). Drop batter by ⅓ cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons heavy cream; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake until golden, 18-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For topping, beat heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. To serve, cut biscuits in half; top with strawberries and whipped cream.