The Most Decadent Vegan Chocolate Cake
Make this for a vegan/dairy-free friend on their birthday!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups almond milk or milk substitute
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegan butter or vegetable shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup almond milk or milk substitute
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder to a large mixing bowl and whisk to thoroughly incorporate, making sure there are no lumps.
- Once, the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed together, create a small well in the middle and add in the coconut oil, maple syrup, and almond milk. Continue to whisk until a thick and lumpy batter forms.
- Grease the inside of two 9-inch cake tins with coconut oil or nonstick baking spray, and add about 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder to dust the inside of the pan.
- Pour half of the batter into each of the cake tins and bake them for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cakes are finished, transfer them or a cooking rack for 5-10 minutes before removing the finished cakes from their tins.
- While the cakes cool prepare the frosting. Add vegan butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and whisk using an electric hand-mixer until a smooth and glossy frosting forms. Add almond milk and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Choose which of the cakes will be the bottom of your finished cake and carefully level it off. Place a small amount of the icing in the middle of your serving dish and place the cake on top.
- Using about a cup of the icing, generously coat the bottom layer of the cake using a spatula. Once the icing is spread out evenly, place the second cake on top and continue to frost the cake using the rest of the icing.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes before serving.