Classic Canadian Poutine
Tasty eh? ??
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 3 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, ¾ stick
- ¼ cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups (600 mL) beef stock
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ cups (335 g) cheese curd
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F (230˚C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a cutting board, slice the potatoes into matchsticks by quartering lengthwise. Cut the quarters lengthwise into ¼-inch slices, then cut into ¼-inch (6 mm) matchsticks.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the fries evenly in 2 rows on each baking sheet so they are not touching.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and flour. Whisk until the mixture is a golden brown. Add the beef stock, Worcestershire, remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and remaining ½ teaspoon of pepper. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously.
- Add the water to the cornstarch in a small bowl and mix until dissolved. Add the cornstarch slurry to the gravy and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat and cover to keep the gravy hot.
- Transfer the baked fries to a large bowl, add the cheese curds, and pour the hot gravy over the top. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to a dish and serve immediately.