Cinnamon Churro S'mores
You'll definitely want s'more of these churrific beauties!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
For the churros:
- 4 cups oil
- 1 cup water
- 1¾ tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, melted
For the marshmallow filling:
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Make the churros:
- In a deep-sided saucepan, heat 4 cups oil to 350 degrees.
- In a separate saucepan, add water, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Add the flour and mix it vigorously with a wooden spoon. Return the pan to the heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat and let it cool for 2 minutes.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, then add the pastry mix and whisk until smooth. It should hold its shape when a finger is run through it. Transfer the pastry mix into a piping bag fitted with a ½-inch open star tip.
- Brush a slotted spoon with oil, then pipe a 1½-inch spiral of pastry onto it. Lower the spoon into the hot oil and let it cook on the spoon for 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining pastry, and place churros on paper towels to drain.
- Dip the churros, flat side down, into the melted chocolate. Set aside to allow chocolate to set.
- Make the marshmallow filling:
- In a saucepan, heat water and sugar to 250 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs and cream of tartar. Beat to firm peaks. With the mixer running, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the egg mixture. Beat on high speed until it’s light and fluffy and starting to cool. Transfer into a piping nozzle fitted with a ½-inch round tip.
- To assemble:
- Pipe a tall cylinder of marshmallow filling onto the chocolate side of one churro, then top it with another, chocolate side down. Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallow, and sprinkle sugar on top to serve.