Cheddar-Crusted & Bacon Broccoli Quiche
Saving this Cheddar-Crusted Bacon Broccoli Quiche for a perfect weekend brunch ?
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (250 g)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, 2 sticks, room temperature (230 g)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting (250 g)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 cups small broccoli floret (300 g)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (240 mL)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- pie weights, coffee beans, or dried beans
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Add 2 cups (200 g) of cheddar cheese and the butter to a large bowl. Mix to combine with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add the flour, paprika, garlic powder, and 2 teaspoons salt and mix well. Add 3 tablespoons of ice water and mix. Add the remaining ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. The dough should hold together when pinched, but crumble apart if you break it up in your hand. If it seems too dry, add a bit more ice water.
- Transfer the dough to a clean surface and knead with your hands until it comes together. Shape the dough into a disc, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the dough into a circle about ⅛ inch (8 mm) thick. Carefully transfer the crust to a 9½-inch (24-cm) glass pie dish.
- Trim the edges (save the trimmings to make crackers!). Poke holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork, then use the tines to crimp the edges. Line the dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the edges are crisp.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the fillings. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 5-7 minutes. Using tongs, remove the bacon from the skillet and let drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle.
- Add the broccoli to the skillet and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Chop the bacon.
- Remove the pie weights from the crust, then add the broccoli and chopped bacon to the center. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the milk, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the fillings in the crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top is lightly browned. Cover the edges with tinfoil if they are starting to burn.
- Let the quiche cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.