Caprese Salad with Grilled Flank Steak
This is a fresh, healthy, easy-to-make salad with a twist to the usual restaurant versions. It can be served in small portions as an appetizer salad, or in large portions as a whole meal. This recipe is for 4 larger salads.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Salad
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) ball fresh mozzarella, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oilsalt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (6.5 ounce) bag butter lettuce mix
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or to tasteolive oil, or to taste
- Mix tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, 1 clove minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl; toss to coat. Cover bowl and refrigerate.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Place steak in a large resealable bag; add 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Seal the bag and distribute the oil mixture over the steak.
- Cook the steak on the preheated grill to your desired degree of doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Let stand for 5 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
- Divide lettuce onto 4 serving plates; drizzle about 1½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar and 1½ teaspoons olive oil onto each lettuce portion. Top each salad with ¼ the steak and ¼ the tomato mixture.