- 1 lb elbow macaroni, uncooked (455 g)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, ½ stick (55 g)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (30 g)
- 3 ½ cups whole milk (840 mL)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach (80 g)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (200 g)
- ½ lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced, optional (225 g)
- 3 small tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over low heat until foamy. Add the flour and stir until completely smooth and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- While stirring, gradually add the milk and cook until the sauce is thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with the paprika, pepper, and salt.
- Fold in the spinach and stir until wilted. Add 1½ cups (150 g) of shredded mozzarella and stir until completely melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir to coat in the sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella evenly over the pasta, then top with the fresh mozzarella if using. Arrange the tomato slices on top.
- Bake until browned and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
- Top with basil before serving.
Watch the recipe video here:
This classic mac and cheese skillet is the perfect recipe to please a picky eater — add roasted tomatoes and fresh basil on top, and turn it into something that’s fresh, flavorful, and exciting. Want more easy back-to-school recipes? Check out Tasty's Back to School Meal Plan here: https://bzfd.it/2ogyGQMGet the recipe: https://tasty.co/recipe/caprese-mac-n-cheese
Posted by Tasty on Friday, August 31, 2018