WATCH: How To Make Ube Halaya
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- ½ kilo uncooked purple yam (ube)
- 2½ cups water
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Thinly peel and then cube ube. (Wear gloves if desired as it stains.) Set aside.
- Pour water into a medium saucepot. Add then boil the cubed ube until tender. Transfer cooked ube to a large bowl, and mash. Set side.
- In a frying pan over low heat, melt butter then add sugar, and salt, stirring until the sugar has begun to dissolve, stirring regularly until well mixed. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add the mashed purple yam then stir until the texture of the mixture becomes really thick (about 5 minutes over low heat).
- Transfer the mixture to a jar, and let cool completely. Keep refrigerated.